Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hugo Results and Thoughts

So, the Hugo awards were announced this past weekend, and I thought it would be amusing to look back at how I ranked things, and how they ended up in the voting.

First up, short stories:
My ChoiceAward Order
1Mono no AwareMono no Aware
2ImmersionImmersion
3Mantis WivesMantis Wives

Interestingly, I pegged this category. I have a feeling Mantis Wives struck others the same way it struck me, and hten that leaves a 50/50 chance for the order.


Novellettes:
My ChoiceAward Order
1The Girl Thing Who Went Out for SushiThe Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi
2Fade to WhiteIn Sea-Salt Tears
3In Sea-Salt TearsFade To White
4The Boy Who Cast No ShadowRat-Catcher
5Rat-CatcherThe Boy Who Cast No Shadow

This one was pretty good as well, with me getting the correct winner, but flipping around a couple of places below it.


Novellas:
My ChoiceAward Order
1After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the FallThe Emperor's Soul
2San Diego 2014After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
3The Emperor's SoulThe Stars Do Not Lie
4On a Red Station, DriftingOn a Red Station, Drifting
5The Stars Do Not LieSan Diego 2014

I would talk about getting it completely wrong, here, except that I correctly placed the #4 story. Not much of an accomplishment, that. Interestingly, except for Stars, I personally enjoyed all of these and don't feel like the voting is out of line as much as reflecting a different overall enjoyment factor for the stories. I know I'm supposed to gripe about politics or the poor taste of the voters, but I can't bring up the bile right now.


Novels:
My ChoiceAward Order
1RedshirtsRedshirts
2BlackoutCaptain Vorpatril’s Alliance
3Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance2312
4Throne of the Crescent MoonThrone of the Crescent Moon
52312Blackout

Again, I somehow managed to call 4th place (and first). I've talked to enough people to figure out that apparently Redshirts can be polarizing -- some love it, and some don't. Some people, of course, gripe about it winning (or blame it on political factions and the fix being in). But my review stated my reasons for the vote; I won't repeat all of them here.

I will say that it is interesting how different the rest of the order was. I'd truly like to know what those who loved 2312 and voted for it to be first place saw in the novel, as I apparently missed it.


Graphic Novels:
My ChoiceAward Order
1GrandvilleSaga
2Schlock MercenaryLocke & Key
3Locke & KeySchlock Mercenary
4SagaSaucer Country
5Saucer CountryGrandville

Does this count as completely wrong? I think so. I share no special insights into the category.

I'm skipping my rankings of pro and fan artists, since there is little I can learn from them to apply to writing... at least at this point in time, for me. Also, I think the overall point has been proven that I don't necessarily align with the general fandom's rankings when it comes to these stories. This is something I've known, but it then reinforces the point made in Million Dollar Outlines that I should be studying the other, well-ranked stories to look for things I might want to include in my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment