Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Gravity Review

As a bit of a detour, while I was away being trained, a coworker an I went to see the movie Gravity in IMAX 3d.

My main impressions were as such, roughly chronologically: Holy cow it's cold in here.  How low do they keep the thermostat?  Wow is that screen big (I've been to IMAX movies before, but not that often).  Cold.  The pre-previews stuff was mostly dumb, and made my eyes slightly hurt while looking at the screen.  The previews all went as follows: Cold.  Oh, interesting.  I'd like to see that.  I wonder what happens next?  Oh, wait, the trailer is done.  Cold.

The movie itself took very good advantage of the 3d aspect, IMO.  Without going into too many details (at risk of spoiling the movie), it starts with some astronauts in space, and the panorama of the Earth, with depth, behind the crew is space was fabulous.  In many other occasions, the 3d effect added wonderful depth to the film, without being obtrusive to me in any way.  The only time I realized the effect during the movie was when I subconsciously tilted my head for a different view on something, and the movie went out of focus due to the glasses no longer being aligned.  It was a problem I quickly remedied.

The viewpoint was such that I had to close my eyes a few times, though I since that was due to the camera spinning around wildly I have to assume that would have happened without 3d as well.

Many shots were done in apparent weightless environments, and I found after the movie that it seems the filming didn't ever get to space.  I don't know how they got all the shots they did, but as a non-aerospace engineer, none of the physics rang false to me (one did appear to be false, but has an in-movie explanation within a couple minutes, so I'm willing to give that one a pass... for now).

As for the plot itself, again avoiding spoilers, it was a well-constructed work.  The plot wasn't the feature, IMO -- that would be the scenery and the visuals -- but it was completely serviceable.  It did tend toward the disaster-adapt-repeat formula, a little obviously at times, but as I said, serviceable.  The mentor figure is appropriately removed, going out on his own terms.  The emotional beats are there, including a spike of humor at times to help alleviate the tension -- or to prep the audience for an even bigger shock by swinging their emotions elsewhere moments later.

Overall I'd recommend it, but mostly for the visuals rather than the story.  If you do, try to see it on a big screen, with 3d is possible.  I doubt it will translate nearly so well to a TV screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment