Thursday, July 4, 2013

Hugo 2013 Reviews: Intro

In order to get my own thoughts arranged (and recorded for future memory), and in order to potentially foster some discussion, I'm going to record my thoughts on the 2013 Hugo nominees, concentrating primarily on the fiction.

I've been reading, nominating, and voting for the Hugos for about 3 years now.  In some ways, I'm just getting the hang of things.  In others, I'm sure I'm still a beginner.  However, one of the things that struck me this year was that this was the first year in which I had read more than 1 of the nominated Hugo novels, having read three of them (Redshirts, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, and Blackout).  This will give me an incredible boost in my attempt to get through the entire packet this year, as most years I haven't found the time to read all the novels, and thus usually don't vote for them -- besides, they are well-represented in the voting.

I prefer to start with the smaller stories and work my way up, and so that is the way I'll be doing the reviews as well; starting with Short Stories and working my way up to Novels, with possibly a digression or two to the other categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment