Monday, July 1, 2013

Story-A-Day Retrospective: Ideas

Ideas!  Where do they come from?  What are the characteristics of the ideas I had?  Let's look back.

One of my fears going into the effort, and one of the reasons I made myself do the 30 short stories in 30 days, was that I'd run out of story ideas on about, oh, the third day.  Happily, that didn't happen.  I did feel I was running lower on story ideas toward the end of the month.  Perhaps I was pickier, but I think I was running lower.

On the other hand, there were a couple of dud days early in the month as well -- I'm thinking in particular of the day I had my shortest story, but then again I just looked it up and it was a few days later.  I suppose if I can forget work-related things over just one weekend, I can easily forget the difficulties I had getting an idea to write about early in the month by now.

Many of the ideas I had were too big for short stories.  (Thanks, Mary, for your rules-of-thumb on story size, and more importantly the emphasis on keeping the story focus tight.)  Having ideas that were too big was tough, especially on the days I was struggling to find any ideas for a short story, but kept having nice novella- or novel-length ideas.

I did write the bigger ideas down, and many setting- and character-related ideas that hadn't quite hit the write accumulation to become a story.  A number of my jotted-down ideas are actually just cool background or setting ideas, without the conflict I was looking for to be able to generate a short story.  I'll be revisiting all of these, possibly in the near future.

By the time I got to the middle of the month, I could see certain themes for these stories.  In no particular order: uplifted species, fantasy creatures in the modern world, and superhero/supervillain.  I don't think I'd previously written a story with any of these elements, which was interesting.  I wonder if they'll stick around, or if I'll look back and recognize a phase I was going through.

Judging by how interesting I find the story ideas right now, I'll be keeping those themes.

Sources of inspiration:
  • Early on, a web search for "story prompts" helped, though not as much after I had run through all that I found interesting in the early results list.  Those were pretty hit-and-miss, but a few good ideas came from them.
  • Mythology, in various forms: skimming through my encyclopedia of mythology book looking for interesting characters, facts, themes, or even wholesale plots was the most common.  Second most common was reading descriptions of mythological beasts I had previously not known about, and what they were known for, and putting something in that situation.
  • Just thinking about cool things in stories and how I could make a story with that cool thing in it.
  • Other stories, when I felt I understood the underlying idea enough translate it into an entirely different setting.

As for MICE, I found I didn't use it as much as I thought I would to generate ideas; in fact, I hardly used it at all that way during the month -- possibly for 3, maybe 4 stories.  I think part of that is due to the time constraints not allowing me to generate a bunch of story ideas and fleshing them out before picking one.  I hope part is due to better internalizing the ideas behind the technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment